Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Lucia Popp: Laudate Dominum (Mozart) (Lyrics) (Translation)

I cannot help myself - Mozart's Laudate Dominum is, for my ear, my heart and my taste an absolute perfection. This version is a tad too slow for my taste but, gosh, Lucia Popp's  voice feels like an angel came from heavens to sing it for us...


Recorded in London, 1967 with Ambrosian Singers, Philharmonia Orchestra under Georg Fischer (who, incidentally, was Lucia's first husband)

Laudate Dominum Lyrics

Laudate Dominum omnes gentes;Laudate eum, omnes populi.Quoniam confirmata estSuper nos misericordia ejus,Et veritas Domini manet in aeternum. Gloria Patri et Filio et Spiritui Sancto.Sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper.Et in saecula saeculorum. Amen.

Laudate Dominum English Translation


Praise the Lord, all nations;
Praise Him, all people.
For He has bestowed
His mercy upon us,
And the truth of the Lord endures forever.

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,

as it was in the beginning, is now, and forever,
and for generations of generations.
Amen.



Should you wish to check out Victoria de los Angeles Laudate Dominum, just follow the link.

When I think about it, what about Emma Kirkby's Laudate Dominum?