Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Maria Callas as Tosca: Vissi d'arte (lyrics and translation)

Maria Callas as Tosca. Watch, listen and enjoy Vissi d'arte from Act II of the Italian opera Tosca by Giacomo Puccini.

Libretto: Giuseppe Giacosa


Role: Floria Tosca, a famous singer
Voice Part: soprano Fach: spinto
Setting: Scarpia's study
Synopsis: In the midst of a uncomfortable conversation with Scarpia about the fate of Tosca's lover, Tosca sings of the two great driving forces in her life, love and music.



Vissi d'arte, Tosca's aria from Tosca Lyrics
Vissi d’arte, vissi d’amore,
non feci mai male ad anima viva!

Con man furtiva
quante miserie conobbi aiutai.
Sempre con fè sincera
la mia preghiera

ai santi tabernacoli salì.
Sempre con fè sincera
diedi fiori agl’altar.

Nell’ora del dolore
perchè, perchè, Signore,  
perchè me ne rimuneri così?

Diedi gioielli della Madonna al manto,
e diedi il canto agli astri, al ciel,
che ne ridean più belli.

Nell’ora del dolor
perchè, perchè, Signor,
ah, perchè me ne rimuneri così?

Vissi d'arte, Tosca's aria lyrics English translation 
I lived for my art, I lived for love,
I never did harm to a living soul!
With a secret hand
I relieved as many misfortunes as I knew of.
Always with true faith
my prayer
rose to the holy shrines.

Always with true faith
I gave flowers to the altar.

In the hour of grief
why, why, o Lord,
why do you reward me thus?
I gave jewels for the Madonna’s mantle,
and I gave my song to the stars, to heaven,
which smiled with more beauty.
In the hour of grief
why, why, o Lord,
ah, why do you reward me thus?